Greenhouse technology is the unique technique of providing favorable conditions to the plants. Growing plants is both an art and science. In spite of many challenges man has learnt how to grow plant under natural environment. Even in extreme adverse climatic conditions where no crops can grow, man has developed a method of growing high value crops which is called as Greenhouse Technology.
This method is used to protect the plants from adverse climatic condition to the plants such as cold, wind, precipitation, excessive radiation, extreme temperature, insects and disease. In Green house technology the environmental conditions are modified using green house / glass house so that one can grow any plant in any place at any time by providing suitable environmental conditions with less labour.
Greenhouses are framed or inflated structures covered with transparent or translucent material large enough to grow crops under partial or fully controlled environmental conditions to get optimum growth and productivity.
Advantages of Green House Technology:
- 10-12% increase in yield depending upon the type of greenhouse, type of crop, environmental control facilities
- Reliability of crop increases in green house cultivation
- Expands your growing season
- Expanding the variety among your produce
- Minimize external threats to your crop
Disadvantages of Green House Technology
- High upfront and operating expenses
- Lack of pollination
- Careful precautions must be taken to eliminate any pest or diseases to make sure your next crop won’t be affected
It is possible to get back the investment on greenhouse within a period of 3-5 years period. The success of green house depends on the scale of the project. Minimum recommended project with right economic viability and long term sustainability is around 1 to 2 years.