Care should be taken to select the crops with different growth habits, root growth, duration and families. The following points to be considered while selecting crops for intercropping system.
2. Bushy crops with erect growing crops.
3. Fast growing crops with slow growing crops.
4. Deep rooted crops with shallow rooted crops.
5. Short duration crops with long duration crops.
6. Legume crops with non-legume crops.
7. Crops should have least allelopathic effect.
8. Crops selected should be of different families to avoid pests and diseases.