In this type the water is applied in the area occupied by the roots of the plants, forming a wet circle or wet band . This technique is very used in the present day, being very applied in the production of fruit . The two basic systems in localized irrigation are micro sprinkler and drip irrigation system.
- Low cost of labor and energy ;
- High application efficiency , as water is applied directly to the root, few losses by evaporation occur;
- Efficiency and efficiency in the application of fertilizers , with fertigation ;
- Great adaptation to different types of soil ;
- Keeps the soil evenly moist and oxygen free.
- Wind and slope do not limit irrigation;
- High initial cost due to large quantity of pipes;
- Very sensitive to clogging of water outlet holes;
- Decreased root depth , due to the constant availability of water, this can decrease plant stability.