In this type (surface irrigation system) the water is led to the point of infiltration directly by the surface of the soil. The most common irrigation systems for this type are flood irrigation and furrow irrigation. This type of irrigation is widely used in fruits, vegetables, and rice production.
Benefits/Pros/Advantages of Surface Irrigation:
- Low cost of deployment, energy and maintenance ;
- It favors the increase of the photosynthesis in the lower leaves, due to the reflection of the light in the water;
- The wind does not limit the irrigation;
- It promotes the fixation of atmospheric nitrogen , as a result of favoring the growth of blue-green algae.
Disadvantages/Cons/Drawbacks of Surface Irrigation Systems:
- Standing water can harm plants, mainly by reducing the respiration of the roots;
- Fairly dependent on soil slope;
- Erosions frequent in the grooves;
- Loss of water occurs due to percolation .