In this method, the agricultural area is sub-divided into small plots by low bunds in a zig-zag manner. The water is supplied to the plots from the field channel through the openings. The water flows in a zig-zag way to cover the entire area. When the desired depth is attained, the opening are closed.
Advantages of zig-zag irrigation:
- Efficiency is higher;
- Labor cost is less;
- Erosion of soil is avoided or controlled;
- It’s possible to apply water uniformly;
- Irrigation of water better controlled;
- Fertilizers can be uniformly applied by mixing with water.
Disadvantages of zig-zag irrigation:
- The method is only suitable for row crops.
- Irrigation cost is higher as it involves much labour.
- More time is required for irrigation.