Describes how farmers can use contour-furrow irrigation as a means of preventing soil erosion and maintaining even watering of crops.
- It is more efficient method of irrigation arid ensures uniform application of water.
- It has good control on irrigation water and high water application efficiency.
- Though the Initial cost is high, it requires less labour and has low maintenance cost.
- Wastage of water and soil erosion is reduced as there is bund around the basin.
- There are too many ridges which occupy the larger area of land. It involves the wastage of land.
- Lay out requirement in land preparation and irrigation is much bigger in check basin irrigation as compared to other methods.
- Repairing of ridges and careful supervision during irrigation is needed.
- Uneven distribution of water within the plot.
- The method impedes surface drainage, precise land grading and shaping are required.