Following are the important benefits of irrigation.
Merits of irrigation:
- During the period of low rainfall or drought, yield of crops may increased or remains same, due to irrigation system.
- The food production of a country can be improved by ensuring the growth of crops. This helps a country to prevent famine situation.
- Securing increased agricultural production and thus improving the nutrition of the population.
- Irrigation helps to improve the cultivation of cash crops like vegetables, fruits, tobaccos, sugar cane.
- In some river valley projects, multi purpose reservoirs are formed by constructing high dams. At these river valleys, hydro electric power may be generated.
- Retention of water in reservoirs and possible multi purpose use thereof.
- Irrigation canal may be the source of water supply for domestic and industrial purposes.
- The reservoirs and canals can be utilized for the development of the fisher project.
- Culturing the area, increasing the social and cultural level of the population.
- Recreation facilities in irrigation canals and reservoirs.
- Increases employment by providing jobs to people.
- Improvement of the micro climate. Possibility provided for waste water use and disposal.
- Improvement of water regime of the irrigated soils.
DeMerits of irrigation:
- Danger of water logging and salination of soils.
- It may change properties of water in reservoirs due to waste water use and disposal.
- Deforestation of area is to be done which is to be irrigated. With it, change of water regime in the area.
- Possible spread of diseases from certain types of surface irrigation.
- Danger of pollution of water resources by return run off from irrigation.
- New diseases caused by retention of waste water in large reservoirs.
- Due to excessive irrigation, climate becomes damp and cold. Thus humidity increases, which is not good for health.
- Careless irrigatio may lead to retention of water and create places for breeding of mosquitos.
- Excess of irrigation may result in raising the sub soil water table and lead to water logging of the area.