The process of colonic irrigation, which is similar to enema, involves the act of cleansing the colon by introducing water through the rectum at a controlled pressure.
Just before the pressure resulting from water inside the colon reaches a point which causes discomfort, the flow of water is reversed and the wastes are removed from the body.
There are many suggested benefits of colonic irrigation as a method of cleansing the body.
- It may empty pockets and improve muscle contraction
- It may cleanse, tone and exercise the colon
- It may improve faecal transit time
- It may re-educate the colon, helping it return to its more original form
- It may balance the micro-flora ecosystem
- It may increase the absorption of nutrients through the colon wall
- It may decrease the enterotoxins from re-entering the body (leaky gut syndrome)
- It may decrease the risk of colon cancer by regular health maintenance
- It may improve circulation
- It may clean the toxins present in the intestines, especially as hardened waste materials are removed
- The process of colon cleanses may also help in strengthening the muscles which line the colon
- It may help in smoothening the process of peristalsis
- The bowel movement may become normal which helps in relieving problems like constipation
- There may be an improvement in the complexion of the skin