This irrigation method is more suited for horticulture development. In this method, a raised platform called ‘Thanvla’ is formed around trees or bushes and they are connected with each other through drains and the water reaches from one tree to the other. This method is not suitable for crops.
Benefits/Advantages of Basin Irrigation System:
1. It saves time. Once the water is opened, it reaches other trees automatically.
2. Its economic investment is less.
3. It is beneficial for more trees.
Disadvantages of Basin Irrigation System:
1. It is not useful for all crops.
2. Wastage of water is caused in it.
3. Diseases spread in trees.